- rice: 2 cups
- jeera: 1 tsp
- Bay leaf: 1
- Cloves: 6
- Cinnamon stick: 1"
- Cardamoms: 2
- Onions: 2 (medium sized, finely sliced)
- Green chili-ginger-garlic paste: 1 1/2 tsps
- Mint: 12-15 leaves (Pudina)
- Kasoori methi: 1/2 tsp (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder: pinch (roasted jeera powder)
- Tomato: 2 (large red tomatoes, finely chopped)
- Tomato: 1 (large red tomato, blanch, peel skin and puree)
- Coriander leaves: 1 1/2 tbsps (finely chopped for garnish)
- Salt: to taste
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Ghee: 1 tbs
Tomato Rice Cooking Method
Heat ghee in a vessel or pressure cooker, add shah jeera, cloves, cinnamon and cardamoms and stir fry 30 secs. Add the sliced onions and saute for 3 mts. Add green chili-ginger-garlic paste, mint leaves and kasoori methi and saute for 4-5 mts.
Add red chili powder and cumin powder and mix. Add chopped tomato, tomato puree and salt to taste and mix. Cook for 8-9 mts on low to medium flame, or till oil separates.
Reduce heat, add the raw rice, mix, saute for a mt. Add 3 3/4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce flame and cook till rice is done. If using pressure cooker, cook rice upto 3 whistles.
Remove onto a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve warm with raita or any curry of your choice.