- One Tilapia (or any fresh water fish)
- One big Onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- A small piece of ginger (1cm)
- One big well ripped tomato
- Two fresh drumstick (optional)
- One stem of Curry leaves or half cup chopped Coriander leaves
- One table spoon mustard seed
- Half spoon of cumin seed
- 6 seed of fenugreek (methi seed)
- Half table spoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 or 3 hot green chili (optional)
1. Cut the fish into five pieces including head and tail. Wash them to
make them clean and place in a bowl. Drain the water completely.
2.Add 2/3 tsp. of the turmeric powder and as much as salt you like to have into
the fish bowel . Mix them thoroughly by hand.
3. Heat a frying pan and put one table spoon oil to fry the fishes till they look very light
4. Cut Onion into ½ cm thick lengthy pieces. Crush (don’t chop) the garlic and ginger
(remove the skin first) into big pieces.
5. Cut the chilies lengthwise. Cut tomato into 4/5 pieces. If you
have drumstick than cut them into 1 inch pieces and wash them.
6. Heat another deep pan , put rest of the oil into it. When the oil becomes
hot , put chilies ,mustard seed ,cumin seed and fenugreek seed in
7. After the sputtering stops , add onion , garlic and ginger to
it. Stir them occasionally . When onion becomes slight red ,( you can
add drumstick now with rest of the turmeric powder let the drumstick to
be cooked ) add rest of the turmeric and tomato pieces. Keep on
stirring till tomatoes leave water.
8. Put semi fried fish pieces into the pan and add little bit of salt (optional).
Very carefully stir them so that the onion, garlic ,tomatoes, etc. will be all
over the fish but the fish pieces will remain intact. Cover the pan and put the stove
into minimum flame for 10 minutes , than add one small cup of water
into it and make the flame high for two three minutes , put the curry
leaves or chopped coriander leaves and switch off the stove.
You can serve this curry with rice.