- Fried fish - few pieces
- 1 large onion - thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1-2 pieces - bay leaves
- 1-2 cardamom
- 1 big cinamon stick
- 2-3 tablespoon of Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tea spoon of turmeric powder
- 1 tea spoon of chili powder
- 1 tea spoon of garam masala
- 1 handful of channa dal (washed and soaked for 4-5 hours)
- Vegetables of your choice (what works well is mentioned below)
- 1 large potato diced
- few string beans - cut into small pieces
- 1/4th of a large white radish
- 1 egg plant - diced
- 1-2 tomatoes (optional)
- few pieces of red pumpkin or white pumpkin
Heat Oil in a Pan and add a large Bay Leaf, cardamom, cinnamon stick.
Add the thinly sliced onions and fry till the onion turns golden brown. Add ginger-garlic paste and turmeric powder and chili powder and mix well for 2-3 minutes and then add the vegetables and the Dal. In this process you don’t have to cook the ginger-garlic paste through completely, since it gets cooked with the vegetables.
Cover and cook the vegetables until cooked through. Add any tomatoes if you like and the garam masala and then the fried fish. Mix well. Adjust seasoning and serve hot with rice and salad.
Also if you want, you can make the vegetarian version where you don’t add the fish. That’s the version my Mom had. Since you add fried fish at the end, you can easily make both the vegetarian and non-vegetarian version at the same time.