- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 small bunch scallions, sliced, whites and greens separated
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps thinly sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 2-inch piece gingerroot, peeled and cut into 1/4 -inch rounds
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4 -inch cubes
1. In a very large skillet or soup pot, heat the sesame oil over medium heat. Add the scallion whites and garlic; cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
2. Pour the water into the pan. Stir in the soy sauce and ginger and let simmer for 2 minutes. Gently place the chicken pieces in the broth. Reduce heat to low; cover and poach until the chicken is just cooked through, about 7 minutes.
3. Transfer the chicken pieces to wide, shallow bowls. Ladle broth over the chicken. Garnish with the scallion greens and serve.